Saturday, June 14, 2014

Marinated Eggplant - a pictorial

Hi Everyone

Today I'm going to post something a little different to my usual tangles. ( I wonder if this counts as 'create something each day in June for the Whimsy and Zen challenge with Kelly').  I better do a tangle just in case.

Please continue to read for the recipe and method.



First I'd like to say it's going to be a long post - I hope you stay with me :)

Okay, so I saw Eggplants at the green grocers at a really good price, so I figured I'd buy some to make Marinated Eggplant (I have made this before) and decided I'd take some pics along the way.

Now is probably a good time to let you know the ingredients 

You will need

  • Eggplants or Aubergines (I used 4 medium sized)
  • Olive Oil (about 1 cup)
  • Balsamic Vinegar (about 1 cup -I used the dark as that's what I had in my pantry, but white is good too)
  • Garlic (I used a whole thingy majiggy - crushed)
  • Parsley - fresh (about 1 cup roughly chopped)
  • Dried Oregano ( roughly 1 teaspoon)
  • Dried Basil (roughly 1 teaspoon)
  • Salt - for sprinkling 
you will also need some paper towelling, a garlic crusher and a large glass jar or container.

Marinated Eggplant tastes yummy in a sandwich or bread roll with some Salami, Cheese, Mushrooms, Tomatoes - anything really - or just like that with some Crackers and Cheese.  anyway will do :)



Start slicing your washed and dried Eggplants (not too thick, not too thin)



Lay them out on paper towelling and sprinkle with salt (this is supposed to bring out the bitterness of the eggplant)



Close up of beading from the salt



Start to heat your pan with a splash of Olive Oil - (a ribbed Griddle is great but mine is in storage ;-)


After sprinkling with Salt and you get the beading, turn slices over and sprinkle with some more Salt.

Then soak up the moisture with Paper Towel



Your pan should be nice and hot now - add slices of Eggplant and cook for a short time only, you don't want to cook the Eggplant or else they will get too soft and mushy (I think about a minute on each side will do and don't worry if they still look raw as they will soften)


Do them in batches and place in a paper lined dish



Now for the marinade






In a bowl mix, Oil, Vinegar, Dried Herbs, crushed Garlic and chopped Parsley..... mmm mmm almost there now :)


Take each slice and dip in marinade and start laying them in a jar - wait to cool completely before storing in the refrigerator (it keeps for several weeks)








And wallah!! all done (of course I had to try it - it is best to wait at least a couple of days :)  )


If you made it all the way down to here, I thank you

I hope you enjoyed my post and I do hope you try to make this yourself.

Enjoy your day!

2 comments:

  1. Love your tile & your documented inspiration♡
    Eggplant is something I have never tried before. ..have no idea what it is to taste like in any form, but am looking forward to trying it, then braving this deliciously sounding recipe! Thanks again for sharing! Have a great weekend & Blessed week÷)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy! - FYI I always understood that the salt was to extract the excessive moisture which would make the eggplant mushy otherwise. I wonder if it does double time - bitterness and moisture? Great tangle too!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit :)